Seychelles offers an attractive offshore regime for registration of property and, particularly, yachts and ships. In order to register a boat, the owner must be a citizen of Seychelles; likewise, in order for a company to register a yacht, it must reside and operate on the territory of Seychelles.
Seychelles is a member of the United Nations, Commonwealth of Nations, a group of non-aligned countries, the Indian Ocean Commission and the International Maritime Organization.
Ships and yachts can be registered in the Seychelles under the terms of The Merchant Shipping Act 1992.
The most effective way of owning a vessel registered in Seychelles is as an international business company. Such companies are exempt from income tax and dividends. Sale or transfer of ownership registered under the flag of Seychelles or of company owning this ship, does not entail taxation either.
Ships older than 15 years of age are not registered under the flag of Seychelles.
A registration certificate is issued within 2-3 days from the date of filing, and it is valid for 5 years. Radio license is valid for one year from the date of registration. A tonnage and a radio license renewal fee are charged on an annual basis.
Vessel registration procedure:
1. All vessels exceeding 20 m in length are subject to a surveyor assessment by a recognized society, such as:
AMERICAN BUREAU OF SHIPPING ABS
BUREAU VERITAS BV
CHINA CLASSIFICATION SOCIETY CCS
DET NORSKE VERITAS DNV
GERMANISHCHER LLOYD GL
KOREAN REGISTER OF SHIPPING LR
LLOYD’S REGISTER OF SHIPPING LR
NIPPOIN KAIJI KYOKAI NK
REGISTERO ITALIANO NAVAL RINA
RUSSIAN MARITIME REGISTER OF SHIPS RS
CROATIAN REGISTER OF SHIPPING CRS
INDIAN REGISTER OF SHIPPING IRS
It is also possible to register a ship with a surveyor authorized and/or recommended by these societies. In this case, you must submit additional documents proving this surveyor’s legitimacy.
2. Fill out an application form and provide full and complete technical information about the boat being registered.
3. Along with the application, the following documents must be submitted to an authorized registered agent:
• Bill of Sale;
• Builder's Certificate;
• coloured photos (electronic form is possible);
• Certificate of Registration;
• Certificate of good standing of the company (if the company exist more than a year);
• Declaration of Ownership;
• Application for the radio license.
4. A certificate of registration shall be issued within 3-4 days from the date of document submission, together with the radio license. A registration certificate is vaid for 5 years.